History at Kirkdale St. Lawrence
Please click on the links below to read the statutory guidance for History and our school's long term plan to cover the objectives. If you require a paper copy of these documents, please ask at the school office.
Black History Month 5th October
While black history is celebrated year round, Black History Month is marked annually. It recognises and values the inspirational individuals and events that have shaped the black generation. During Black History Month, we remember and celebrate the important people from the past and also those who contribute to and help our society today.
Previously during Black History Month, we welcomed our minority ethnic and non-British born parents to come into school to speak to the children in our classes or share information about their backgrounds however this year we will not be able to do this due to government restrictions.
The month of October is Black History Month in the UK, and teachers at Kirkdale St Lawrence have planned a series of lessons and activities to take place in October designed to explore this area of the curriculum.
Topics covered and activities will include:
- Focusing on key moments in Black British History
- Famous Black Poets and Writers.
- Famous leaders from national to local.
- Musicians and Artists
- Sporting Icons from national to local
- Scientists and Inventors who have made a difference.
- Global Icons who are simply the best.
- Focusing on key black historical figures
- African stories
- Focussing on BLM-racism, segregation and the slave trade
- African dance
- Mask-making and African art
- Drumming workshops with our specialist music teacher
Click here to see some of the books we will be reading as part of Black History Month.